This is a Landscape infrastructure project consisting of a variety of outdoor spaces between a group of new and old buildings: a park, a plaza, paths, and streets. The project area glues the Royal Park of Tervuren to a medieval town center nearby. A parking lot until recently, the site used to host a series of botanical gardens in a French style, dating back to 1770.
The landscape portion of the project reinvents and reinterprets the older garden order. The plaza portion, however, is a contemporary invention. A continuous carpet of cobblestones realizes a 2-story topographical difference in an undulating, unifying shape. Different advanced geometries were tested to maximize sectional continuity while allowing for slow routes up or down with acceptable slope percentages. Place marking follies were installed to guide circulation, provide artificial lighting with places to congregate, accommodate drainage and plant-life, and incorporate service stations for plaza inhabitants.