Yesterday morning was a historical moment for the future of Antwerp. The political steering committee has decided on the selection of 18 capping and quality of life projects for the Antwerp ring zone. An unprecedented investment budget of 1.25 billion euros was made available for these. The projects will give the city of Antwerp new park zones (both next to the Ring and over the Ring), bicycle highways and more connections for neighborhoods on both sides of the Ring. The wider region will also benefit in terms of mobility, for example by the bicycle bridge connecting both sides of the Scheldt river for commuters. On top of the 18 concrete projects, the government decided to continue with the study to reorganize the southeastern ring in order to reduce traffic jams and make more capping projects possible in the future. The framework maps made by ORG for the future development of the Ring Zone were approved as well.
ORG was involved with the project both as the overall curator or “intendant” of the two and a half year long process prior to these important decisions, and as one of the 6 design teams working on the urban projects (zone northeast).
All the projects can be found on the website of over de ring:
– project overview https://www.overdering.be/
– projects in detail https://www.overdering.be/
– for an overview of press: https://www.overdering.be/
- Overview of all projects_(c) ORG-Common Ground
- Project east 4_(c) team east
- Project North_4_(c) team North
- Project Northeast 1_(c) ORG
- Project South 4a_(c) team south
- Project Southeast 5_(c) team Southeast
- Project West 6_(c) team west